First Floor Club and Northgate High School feature in today’s Throwback Thursday from November 1979
- Credit: Archant
Our Throwback Thursday series continues, this week looking back to November 1979 for a boxing dinner at the First Floor Club, a Remembrance Day parade and West Side Story at Northgate High School.
This month saw a boxing dinner held at the First Floor Club in Tacket Street. The event attracted scores of people, who were wined and dined as the boxers took to the ring.
For many years in the 1970s and 1980s the First Floor Club was the premier nightspot in Ipswich. It went on to become Fire and Ice and has recently been converted to flats.
November 1979 saw the annual Remembrance Day parade at Christchurch Park. As always, a huge crowd gathered to remember and pay their respects to the soldiers who lost their lives in conflict.
At Northgate High School pupils were rehearsing their West Side Story show.
You may also want to watch:
In the same month, Ipswich Town beat Southampton 3-1 at Portman Road on the Saturday afternoon in November 1979, thanks to goals from John Wark, Eric Gates and Alan Brazil.
To share your memories and pictures with us, email email@example.com
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 5 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy