Gemma shows true grit - with first gritting run on Christmas Eve
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk’s only female gritter driver, Gemma Allard, took part in her first run on Christmas Eve.
Gemma, 26, from Felixstowe, is a member of Suffolk Highways’ communications team - but decided to train as a gritter driver and get out on the county’s roads this winter.
Suffolk Highways communications and customer services manager Lloyd Jones tweeted: “It’s Gemma’s first gritting run on Christmas Eve! What a trooper! Well done, Gem, and all the best for your first outing. So proud.”
After passing her HGV test, Gemma had to complete specialist training before being able to get behind the wheel of a gritter.
She is the only female driver in the team this year, although there have been other women drivers behind the wheel of the gritter lorries in Suffolk in the past.
You may also want to watch:
Gemma has said she does not mind getting up in the early hours, commenting: “I like early starts. Getting up in the small hours doesn’t worry me. I love being in the lorries.”
She also said another experienced driver would be out with her as she learned the job, but she hoped to be able to go out on her own before the end of the winter season.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 8 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 9 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 10 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused