Five remanded over country park incident

FIVE people arrested in connection with an alleged attack in a park on the outskirts of Ipswich have been remanded in custody.

All five appeared in court in connection with an alleged assault of Liam Rumsey at Orwell Country Park in Nacton, near Ipswich.

Kristin Burns, 20, of Sinclair Drive, Ipswich, Lewis Dowe, 21, of Ramsey Close, Ipswich, David Cooper, 23, of Mildmay Road, Ipswich, Darren Gorham, 22, of Marigold Avenue, Ipswich, and Matthew Osborn, 21, of De Brink on the Green, Martlesham Heath, were charged with grievous bodily harm on Friday following an alleged assault, which took place a week ago.

Appearing at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Saturday, the five suspects appeared in three separate hearings. None of them entered pleas.

Prosecutor Godfried Duah asked the courts to remand the five in custody, following the incident which left Mr Rumsey fighting for his life.

You may also want to watch:

He said that some evidence was yet to be found and that key witnesses still needed to be interviewed.

Family members gathered at the back of the court listened as Mr Duah read out details surrounding the case, which cannot be reported for legal reasons.

Most Read

Dino Barricella, who was representing Burns, submitted an application for bail, as did Michael Stephenson for Dowe, Jeremy Kendall for Osborn and Michael Whatley for Gorham.

There was no application for bail for Cooper who was represented by a duty solicitor.

Magistrates denied all applications and said that all five would be remanded in custody.

Emergency services were called at 3.54pm on Monday, May 3, to Orwell Country Park where Mr Rumsey was found with serious injuries.

The 21-year-old was taken to Ipswich Hospital with multiple, life-threatening injuries.

He was later transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, where he currently remains in critical but stable condition.

The five will now appear in Ipswich Crown Court on May 18 for a preliminary hearing.

Six people, also arrested in connection with the assault, were released on police bail throughout the week.

They will return to Ipswich police station in June.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus