Flashback: Baden Powell awards, Beaujolais and pool players are remembered
More events featured in photographs have been remembered by our readers
Re: Baden Powell awards 1988
I was in your Flashback photo regarding the Baden Powell Awards (EADT, October 6).
I am Loveday Glenn but am now Loveday Loveridge and live in Leeds with three children. My two daughters are now in the Guiding movement.
You may also want to watch:
Re: Flashback/Magic Memories
Your photo shows one my predecessors as mayor of St Edmundsbury (not Bury). The picture of Peter Rudge (planting a tree to officially open Kingfishers) was only six days after he became mayor for the year 1989-1990.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
John Wayman, (Mayor 2000-2001), Cavendish.
Re: The Beaujolais Nouveau Run November 1981
Thanks for reviving the memories. The six team members in the photograph are (left to right) Andy Clover and Graham Avery, Tim Stock and the proprietor of The Naked Grape, Rod Wise and Bruce Sangster.
We entered three cars in the run to bring the first bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau back to Ipswich after its release by the vinery in Beaune at midnight. We all drove through the night and celebrated back in town at first light at the wine wholesalers down by the wet dock. The three cars taking part were a Mercedes V8 SD a BMW V8 7 Series and an Aston Martin Vantage V12. One of the three teams was unfortunately delayed temporarily by the Dover police and issued with a speeding ticket – the French police were far more tolerant in those days!
Bruce Sangster, Woodbridge.
Re: Pool players at White Hart, Otley
My husband of 45 years, Tommy Cain, is pictured on the extreme left-hand side of the attached photo (with dark curly hair) and the guy on the extreme right is Steven (Jessie) James, but my husband cannot remember the names of the other guys.
He believes that it was a 24-hour charity pool match. My husband played pool at the Barley Mow, Witnesham; Otley White Hart and “Half Moon”, Swilland, which is now known as the Moon and Mushroom and some of these guys were part of the Barley Mow team.
Christine Cain, Swilland.