Flashback: Under 11’s football, Sea Scouts and an Easter egg race are remembered
More events featured in photographs have been remembered by our readers
Re: Under 11’s six-a-side football team from West Howard Middle School in Bury St Edmunds
I remember this very well. I was co-team manager with Adrian Banns who was the PE teacher. Took a year and a half off work to prepare the lads for the tournament. We trained every day, lunch times, after school in that period. Even took them to my home to watch videos of Pele and the Brazil 70 Team!
At the time we had a squad of ten boys, but when we got down to the finals we could only use eight. Myself and the boys also appeared on “About Anglia” which was a big thing back then.
We travelled down to London and stayed at the Hilton, did a bit of sightseeing before our big appearance on the Saturday at the old Wembley Stadium. Our aim was to get to the final because we knew it was being televised. Paul Ince was the guest of honour and the lads were introduced to him before the game.
You may also want to watch:
We achieved our aim and got to the final which we subsequently lost to a very good side. They had three lads who were already signed by Leeds.
Our lads were not at any clubs at the time so it was a great achievement to get as far as the did and I was proud of every one of them.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
- 7 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 10 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
Team from back left to right: David Wincote, Matt Old, David Norton, Matthew Madine, Stewart Logan
Team from front left to right: Gary Hopkins, Tom Dumican, Matt Zdrenka
Managers: Adrian Banns, Mick Logan (myself)
Re: Easter Egg Race
The picture of the Easter egg race at The Wetherden Maypole (Monday, April 14) shows me, Neil Sands, who was the pub landlord at the time, giving out the eggs.
We did this as a regular Easter event from 1979 to 1983.
I think the picture was taken by Andy Abbott.
Re: Woodbridge Sea Scouts
The photograph of the 5th Woodbridge Sea Scouts you printed on March 28 shows John Evans after his investiture as a Venture Scout on the Eiffel Tower. Wanting somewhere different to be invested he jokingly suggested Paris so we took up the challenge and one weekend six of us nipped across the Channel in March 1984 to do it.
From left to right: Linda Lancaster, Assistant Venture Scout Leader; Paul Norman, Group Scout Leader; John Gibs, Venture Scout Leader; Robert Lancaster and Lorraine Arbon, Venture Scouts and John Evans aloft with the flag.