Flat fire next door to Whispers wine bar in Halstead
- Credit: Archant
A fire broke out at a block of flats on Saturday night next door to an Essex wine bar which sustained serious damage in a blaze on Friday.
Crews from four fire engines spent two hours tackling the flames in the roof of the three-storey building in High Street, Halstead.
It comes just a day after seven fire engines spent most of Friday trying to contain a fire at Whispers wine bar, also in the High Street. The wine bar suffered severe damage to the first floor, water damage to the ground floor, and the roof was destroyed. The fire was reported at 11.18am. Crews damped down remaining hot spots and left the scene at 6pm.
On Saturday, a fire in the roof at a neighbouring three-storey block of flats was reported at 8pm.
Four fire engines attended and the fire had been brought under control and extinguished by 10pm.
Station Manager Lee Palfreyman said: “It is thought that the fire reignited due to hot spots which were covered up by a large amount of debris and were not detectable with thermal imaging equipment.
You may also want to watch:
“It is rare for this to happen, but the complexity of the structure of the building, voids and wall cavities meant that the hot spots were undetectable.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12