Flowers laid by family members of Corrie McKeague two years since his disappearance
- Credit: Archant
Flowers have been laid at the spot where missing RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague was last seen on this day two years ago.
The gunner, who was based at RAF Honington, vanished on September 24, 2016, after a night out with friends in Bury St Edmunds.
The airman, from Fife in Scotland, was last seen on CCTV entering an area known as the ‘Horseshoe’ – a loading bin area behind Greggs – at 3.24am. He has never been seen since.
MORE: Mother of Corrie McKeague planning more searches for sonThe theory that he climbed into a bin and was transported to a waste site led to two extensive searches of a landfill in Milton, Cambridgeshire – lasting 27 weeks in total.
But no trace of Corrie was found and his mother, Nicola Urquhart, revealed to this newspaper that she now believes her son was never in the landfill and is set to start more searches.
Police maintain the “most likely” scenario is that the serviceman ended up in the waste process after getting into the bin.
You may also want to watch:
Flowers from family members and friends were laid by the bins in the Horseshoe area with a number of written messages on the two-year anniversary.
Corrie’s dad, Martin McKeague, who visited the Horseshoe area to lay flowers today, said it had been a “difficult day”.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
The father said in July that he believed his son was “somewhere in the waste disposal system” and his remains were “essentially irretrievable”.
“Obviously we were devastated that we didn’t find him in the landfill,” he said.
“All the evidence pointed to him being there, but there is no new evidence to suggest anything else.
“It’s been a very difficult and emotional time. I look forward to working with Suffolk police further.
“I will never stop speaking for my son.”