Flowton: Landowner repeatedly dumped waste in village pit, court heard

A LANDOWNER who has repeatedly flouted orders banning him from dumping waste in a village pit has been ordered by a judge to produce details of his financial affairs when he is sentenced next week.

Paul Fenton, who lived in Flowton, near Needham Market, before moving to Bulgaria nine months ago, has admitted five offences of breaching an enforcement notice and five offences of contravening a stop notice in relation to the pit.

Angela Lambert, prosecuting at Ipswich Crown Court, said Suffolk County Council had issued an enforcement notice and a stop notice in 2000 requiring Fenton and his former wife Susan Fenton from dumping waste material on the land in Flowton.

Since then Paul Fenton had appeared in court on three occasions in 2001, 2007 and 2010 for breaching the orders. In 2010 he was fined and ordered to pay costs of �35,000 after admitting 10 offences.

He had also been made the subject of a two-year anti-social behaviour order in 2010 banning him from undertaking waste management or disposal activities at the site without planning permission or a licence.


You may also want to watch:


Miss Lambert said on February 29 this year a Suffolk County Council monitoring and enforcement officer had visited the site and discovered a pile of brick and concrete rubble behind locked gates as well as a pile of mixed materials.

The officer also noticed a tipper truck on the site containing further brick and concrete.

Most Read

On March 14 the officer noticed three new piles of waste and, while there, saw a tipper truck dump more concrete and rubble.

During another visit on March 28 he saw more brick and concrete had been deposited at the site.

Miss Lambert said the total cost of legally depositing the waste found at the site would have been �9,500.

She said Susan Fenton, who has been separated from her husband for two years, had appeared before magistrates and had admitted 10 breaches and had been fined �3,000.

Fenton told the court he had not run a business in the UK since he was given the ASBO in 2010 and had been trying to sell the land where the waste had been dumped.

He said he had no knowledge of the recent tipping on the land but had paid for someone to remove the rubble when he found out about it.

Judge Rupert Overbury adjourned the sentencing hearing until next Thursday and ordered Fenton to produce documents relating to his finances over the last 12 months including the sale of his former home for �680,000.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter