Footballer on rape charge
SUFFOLK footballer Tesfaye Bramble is due to appear in court later this month accused of raping a young woman.
The 30-year-old, of Stone Lodge Lane, Ipswich, was charged when he answered bail in Northumbria on Thursday evening.
The incident is alleged to have taken place at the Vermont Hotel in Newcastle.
Bramble, whose brother is former Ipswich Town defender Titus, was arrested after a 19-year-old woman claimed to have been attacked at the city centre hotel.
The alleged assault was reported to have taken place in the early hours of Wednesday, September 22.
You may also want to watch:
Will Green, of Northumbria Police, said: “I can confirm Tesfaye Bramble, aged 30, of Ipswich, has been charged with rape. He is due to appear before Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, December 16.”
It is understood Bramble was released on bail until his court appearance.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
Bramble has played professionally and at non-league level for a number of clubs including Cambridge United, Southend United and Stockport County.
Latterly Bramble has also played at a high-level in local football, turning out for Ridgeons League Premier Division clubs Leiston, and Felixstowe & Walton United.
After the alleged victim originally complained to police, investigators also arrested Bramble’s brother, Titus, on suspicion of rape.
In October Northumbria Police said no further action would be taken against Titus Bramble, who currently plays for Premier League side Sunderland.