Fordham: Young woman killed in crash was pregnant
A YOUNG woman killed in an horrific crash near her home was 14 weeks pregnant at the time of the tragedy, it has emerged.
Georgina Bailey, 21, was out walking along Isleham Road in Fordham when she was in collision with a car just around the corner from her home on Monday night.
Paramedics worked desperately at the scene before taking her to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
Ms Bailey, who was 14 weeks pregnant, died hours later.
Her death has devastated her family, who told how she wanted to work with horses and had won an award from MidKent College, where she had picked up a City and Guilds qualification.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Bailey was one of five children. She had two sisters and two brothers.
Speaking from the family home yesterday, her elder brother Robert Bailey 24, said residents in the area had long been campaigning for better lighting in the area.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
He said: “There’s just one light at the end of this road and there’s no footpath behind here and Isleham.
“I’ve seen people choosing to walk through the farmer’s fields and getting their shoes thick with mud rather than walk along Isleham Road.”
He said without lighting it was impossible for drivers to see people walking in the road until it was too late.
“You’ve got little kids who cross that road and people out walking dogs. It only takes a split secoind for a driver to lose control.
“The accident involving Georgina is not the first accident that has happened there.”
Sister Becky Bailey, 23, said she was devastated not only at the loss of her sister but also at the loss of a little niece or nephew too.
It is understood Georgina, who grew up in Kent, had only recently learned she was pregnant and had broken up with the biological father.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council said Fordham Parish Council had been in contact this week raising concerns about the road.
He said: “We will work with with the parish council.”
An inquest into Georgina’s death has been opened and adjourned by the coroner for north and east Cambridgeshire, William Morris.
The cause of Georgina’s death has been listed as multiple trauma and massive blood loss.
Police are investigating the collision, which involved a VW Scirocco car driven by a 21-year-old man, who is also from Fordham. He was not injured in the incident.
Anyone with information should contact Cambridgeshire police on 0345 4564564.