Hope Church completes purchase of former Odeon Cinema in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Hope Church has bought the former Odeon Cinema in Ipswich which has been left empty for the past 13 years.
The cinema, which was build in the early 1990s, will become the new place of worship for the church, which is currently based in Fore Hamlet but has outgrown its home.
Hope Church plans to transform the building into a place to host its growing congregation with a large auditorium plus extra rooms for children and workshops.
The church plans to create a community facility to serve the town throughout the week.
The sale has been completed by law firm Birketts on behalf of the church.
You may also want to watch:
Ian Little, from Hope Church, said: “Hope Church has been in Ipswich for over 25 years and we are aiming to make a full move from the Orwell Centre to the former Odeon cinema in September 2019.
“We’ve a vision to refurbish this building to create a superb centre for the church and a facility that will be a blessing to the town of Ipswich.”
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
Keith Andrews, senior associate at Birketts’ commercial property team, said: “This well-known building within Ipswich has been derelict for a number of years.
“I am delighted that we were able to support Hope Church in the first step of their ambitious vision.”