Forty jobs go at Suffolk factory
FORTY people have lost their jobs at a Suffolk factory as a firm consolidates part of its operations elsewhere in the country.The dry mix department at Unilever Bestfoods' site in Needham Market closed yesterday, resulting in the loss of 40 jobs.
FORTY people have lost their jobs at a Suffolk factory as a firm consolidates part of its operations elsewhere in the country.
The dry mix department at Unilever Bestfoods' site in Needham Market closed yesterday, resulting in the loss of 40 jobs. An assurance had been given last year that all staff would be employed for at least 12 months following the initial announcement of job loses.
CSM, known as Arkady Craigmillar in the UK, took the strategic decision to consolidate its dry mix business from Needham Market into their existing factory in Manchester. Their dry mix contract with Needham finished yesterday.
Around 60 employees will continue to be based at the Needham Market factory, which produces the highly successful Elmlea cream alternative brand.
You may also want to watch:
Every opportunity was taken to minimise the impact of CSM's decision by seeking, where possible, voluntary redundancies and early retirement options.
Lisette Gibson, from Unilever's corporate relations department, said: "Forty people left the company, two of which were compulsory, the rest made up of either voluntary redundancies or early retirement.
- 1 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 2 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 3 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 7 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 8 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 9 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 10 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
"Needham Market will now focus on the production of Elmlea, our dairy cream alternative.''
During 2000 Unilever sold its bakery business to Dutch company CSM and as part of the sale agreement, Needham Market was contracted to supply around 10,000 tonnes of dry mix.