Four arrested after suspected stolen BMW pursued by police on A14
- Credit: Archant
Three men and a 14-year-old boy have been arrested after police pursued a suspected stolen car from the A14.
Just before 5.50pm on Friday September 7 a silver/grey BMW 530 which was believed to be stolen was identified by police on the A14 eastbound.
The car left the carriageway at junction 43 and once on the off-slip the police car’s lights were illuminated to request the BMW to stop, which it failed to do so.
It then pushed its way through queueing traffic, turned left on to Compiegne Way, then into Cannon Street contravening a no-entry sign, before coming to a stop in Short Brackland where the four occupants left the car and ran off towards the town centre.
Three suspects were quickly located and arrested at around 6.15pm. A fourth was found around an hour later.
You may also want to watch:
The four suspects are a 36-year-old man; a 32-year-old man; and a 14-year-old boy; all from east London; and a 34-year-old man from Southend-on-Sea.
They were all arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle and taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
They have since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.
Officers are appealing for any witnesses to this incident and in particular anyone who may have dash cam footage of the BMW at any stage during the pursuit, or who saw four people running from a vehicle in Short Brackland.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Roads and Armed Policing Team at Bury St Edmunds Police Station on 101 quoting reference 51477/18.