Four arrested after Cambridge football fan Simon Dobbin, of Mildenhall, was left in coma following attack
- Credit: Archant
A family man from Mildenhall left in a coma after a “sickening attack” has been branded “entirely innocent” by Essex Police.
Father-of-three Simon Dobbin, 41, was attacked after a Southend United versus Cambridge United match on March 21 and is currently in a critical but stable condition. He and a small group of other Cambridge United supporters were attacked in East Street, Southend, by a group of men who came out of the nearby Railway Tavern.
Lead investigator DCI Martin Pasmore, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “Mr Dobbin is an entirely innocent victim in this attack.
“He is a decent family man who was simply enjoying a day out with a friend. My heart goes out to his family at this very difficult time.
“I believe that Mr Dobbin’s attacker was among a group of men who came out of the Railway Tavern.
You may also want to watch:
“It is clear that motorists and pedestrians would have been stopped by the disorder and I need anyone who saw any aspect of this incident to get in touch.
“I also need anyone in the Blue Boar or Railway Tavern at the time to contact police. Some of the Cambridge supporters are still to be traced and I appeal to them to make contact as soon as possible.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
“It is my intention to identify everyone involved in this sickening attack and bring them to justice.”
Simon, nicknamed Dobbo by friends, is currently in Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
Four men have been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm following the incident, which happened at around 7.20pm.
Three men from Southend, aged 19, 22 and 33, and a 23-year-old from Westcliff, have been bailed until May 27.
Anyone who witnessed the assault or has any information is asked to call the Harlow Major Investigation Room on 01279 621802. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org