Four choices for walkers as rotarians prepare for annual fundraising hikes
- Credit: Seana Hughes/Archant
Walkers will be able to choose from four river routes as part of a day to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer.
The event is being organised by members of the Woodbridge Rotary Club on August 27 with the walks of different lengths to suit people’s abilties and choice.
The biggest walk will be the 2nd Deben Marathon, 35 miles from Suffolk Coastal’s HQ at Melton to Felixstowe Ferry, across the River Deben by foot ferry to Bawdsey and back to the start, expected to take around 12 hours.
Entrants pay a minimum donation of £20 for adults; children 18 and under/students, £5 (fee includes ferry ticket) – registration on the day from 7am to 7.30am.
There are walks of 18 miles and 15 miles along both banks of the river, and an eight-mile family walk starting from the Ramsholt Arms.
The North Deben Bank Walk will include a free bus to Bawdsey Quay with registration on the day at Suffolk Coastal from 9am to 9.30am, while the South Deben Bank Walk will include a free bus to Felixstowe Ferry, with registration at the council offices from 9.30am to 10am. Minimum donations for both the North and South walks are adults £10; children 18 and under/students, £5.
The family walk from Ramsholt has registration from 11.30am to noon. Minimum donations: adults £5; children 18 and under/students, £2.50.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 4 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 5 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 6 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 9 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
- 10 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
While people taking part are asked for minimum donations for the charity, they can raise extra funds if they wish.
For full details about taking part, contact David Houchell by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07887 603440.
To register and to download a sponsor form visit www.Woodbridgerotary.org.uk/Walk.html.
Woodbridge Rotary Club raised funds for the Macmillan Woolverstone Appeal last year which contributed to the family room in the new cancer ward. The money raised through the walks will go to funding all the consumables in the family room for the coming years.