Framlingham Gala returns today with ‘London Shows’ theme for procession
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A centuries-old Suffolk celebration gets into full swing today when the annual parade sets off for a tour around town.
Framlingham Gala has been an attraction in the town for around 300 years, with modern events featuring music, entertainment and much more.
The festivities started with a fun fair which runs all weekend and a craft fair yesterday at St Michael’s Church. But today sees the major celebrations begin, with the focus on the parade, which this year takes “London Shows” as its theme.
The Parade, sponsored by Hopkins Homes, will set off from Station Road at 12.30pm before making its way around the town to Castle Meadow.
In previous years, the processions has featured dozens of decorated floats and people in fancy dress.
Popular entertainment returning this year includes The Tigers Motorcycle Display Team, the Smokehouse Blue Marching Jazz Band and Magic Olly.
Stocks Fun Fair is open all weekend. Today also sees the return of the craft fair at St Michael’s Church and a car boot sale at Framlingham Sports Club in Badingham Road, both starting at 10am.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 3 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 4 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 5 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 6 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 7 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 8 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
- 9 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 10 Rail services disrupted after Needham Market bridge struck
Organised by the sports club, it is its biggest fundraiser of the year. Profits help to maintain and supply new facilities.