Framlingham Museum to celebrate 60th anniversary with celebration of town's history
PUBLISHED: 09:39 19 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:39 19 September 2017
Artefacts depicting the history of a medieval market town in Suffolk will go on show for a museum's 60th anniversary.
Framlingham Museum is marking its milestone on Saturday, October 7, at the Unitarian Meeting House, Bridge Street, where there will be displays and information about the organisation.
The idea for a museum came after an exhibition held by the Framlingham and Saxtead Local History Committee, which saw residents lend artefacts varying in size from a Roman coin to a De Dion Bouton car.
After the event, members of the society’s committee, including Harold Lanman and Percy Stannard, made plans for a permanent museum, which was opened in Market Hill in October 1957 by Lord Cranbrook.
The museum has since moved to Double Street, the Court House and later Framlingham Castle, which has been its home since 1984 – and was where Mr Stannard had originally hoped it could be located.
The anniversary event, which runs from 10am-4.30pm, will feature displays showing various aspects of the town’s history, along with the information about the museum and the Framlingham & District Local History & Preservation Society, as it is now known.