Fresh challenge to airport's expansion
By Roddy AshworthFIVE councils have stepped up their attempt to stop the planned expansion of Stansted Airport by seeking a judicial review of the proposal.
By Roddy Ashworth
FIVE councils have stepped up their attempt to stop the planned expansion of Stansted Airport by seeking a judicial review of the proposal.
Essex County Council and Uttlesford District Council are among five local authorities who are opposed to the Government's aviation White Paper, which supported the creation of a new runway at Stansted Airport by 2011.
Last month the councils began their legal objections to the airport expansion by formally writing to Transport Secretary Alistair Darling, outlining their concerns and seeking the opportunity to have the White Paper revised.
You may also want to watch:
Now they have taken the next step in the legal process by lodging leave to seek a judicial review of the Government's future aviation plan.
Lord Hanningfield, leader of Essex County Council, added: “Airports in the UK have a history of creeping expansion. We are being asked to accept a four-fold increase in the capacity of Stansted.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 5 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 9 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 10 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
“This is not acceptable and it stretches credulity that we be expected to accept a location of a second runway that would give the airport the footprint and hence the potential capacity to be the world's largest airport.”
Hertfordshire County, North Hertfordshire District and East Hertfordshire District Councils are the other councils seeking leave for a judicial review.
Another attempt to seek a judicial review was launched earlier this month by pressure groups, including Stop Stansted Expansion.
They claimed the Government had not consulted properly before reaching the conclusions published in its White Paper.