Boy, 13, arrested on suspicion of arson after four fires at nature reserve
- Credit: RUSSELL STUBBS
A teenage boy was arrested on suspicion of arson following four grass fires at Friday Woods in Colchester, which were found to be deliberate.
The 13-year-old, from Colchester, was arrested on Tuesday, July 7 – the day that the fires took place – and has since been released without charge.
Crews were called to the fires at around 9.30am on Tuesday morning, with shocking photos emerging on social media of plumes of smoke and huge flames at the popular dog walking spot.
MORE: Crews tackle four deliberate grass fires at nature reserveFirefighters managed to extinguish the fires by 11.10am, after finding four separate patches of grass alight, all of which were in close proximity.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service recorded the fires as being deliberate.
Police attended the incident and arrested a juvenile.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the force, said: “A 13-year old boy was arrested and after speaking with him he was released without charge.”
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners