Boy, 13, arrested on suspicion of arson after four fires at nature reserve
- Credit: RUSSELL STUBBS
A teenage boy was arrested on suspicion of arson following four grass fires at Friday Woods in Colchester, which were found to be deliberate.
The 13-year-old, from Colchester, was arrested on Tuesday, July 7 – the day that the fires took place – and has since been released without charge.
Crews were called to the fires at around 9.30am on Tuesday morning, with shocking photos emerging on social media of plumes of smoke and huge flames at the popular dog walking spot.
MORE: Crews tackle four deliberate grass fires at nature reserveFirefighters managed to extinguish the fires by 11.10am, after finding four separate patches of grass alight, all of which were in close proximity.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service recorded the fires as being deliberate.
Police attended the incident and arrested a juvenile.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the force, said: “A 13-year old boy was arrested and after speaking with him he was released without charge.”
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Car catches fire outside Morrisons store in Ipswich
- 3 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 4 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 5 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 6 Timeline: When can you expect to receive the Covid vaccine?
- 7 Ipswich consider striker signing after Hawkins undergoes surgery
- 8 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 9 Covid rate falling across Suffolk and north Essex
- 10 Town have 27 first teamers available... And Taylor hints at the return of squad rotation