Friend discovers serious fire at family’s house in Little Canfield while checking on their pets
- Credit: Archant
An Essex family have been made homeless after their property went up in flames while they were away.
The fire at the house in Stortford Road, Little Canfield, a village near Dunmow, was discovered by a friend who had visited to check on the family’s pets.
Essex Fire and Rescue Service was called to the scene just after 1.45pm today.
Fire engines from Dunmow, Leaden Roding, Braintree, Stansted and the aerial ladder platform from Chelmsford attended.
On arrival crews reported that the fire was in the roof space of the house and had spread to a first floor bedroom, and that the first floor was 100% smoke logged.
You may also want to watch:
Watch manager Steve Wintrip said: “The homeowners were away from the house at the time of the fire, which was discovered by a friend who had visited to check on their pets.
“It was necessary to call for back up once we arrived due to arduous conditions.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
“Our crews worked to tackle the fire from the outside and salvage possessions, such as furniture and photos, on the inside.
“Firefighters did a brilliant job of stopping the fire spreading further, but sadly, due to fire and smoke damage in the roof and first floor, the family have been made homeless. Thankfully the pets are unharmed.”
Firefighters extinguished the blaze by 3.51pm.
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.