Frinton: Staff praised after gas explosion at beach hut
- Credit: Warren Page/ Anglia Press Agency
Staff from Tendring District Council have been praised for aiding a holidaymaker who was injured when a gas bottle exploded at a beach hut in Frinton.
The 70-year-old, who received burns to his face and arm, had hired the hut with his family for the Bank Holiday.
It appears that a disposable barbecue caused a leak of fumes from the bottle to ignite and a fireball launched the gas bottle out of the hut and onto the Lower Promenade.
Luckily, it burnt itself out within seconds but the man was left with burns to his lower arms and face following the incident at 1.30pm on Sunday May 26.
The hut was next to Tendring’s beach patrol house and staff attended to the man before the ambulance arrived and took him to Colchester General Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Two fire crews from Frinton also attended to ensure the fire was out.
Seafront rangers Michelle Perry and Andrew Dawkins attended to the man until the ambulance arrived while beach patroller Steve Cantrell and parking and community supervisor Mick Simpson dealt with controlling the traffic and crowd safety on the promenade when the ambulance and fire service attended.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 4 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 5 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 6 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 7 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 8 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 9 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
Nick Turner, Tendring’s cabinet member for environment and coast protection, praised all the staff involved.
“They all did a first class job in looking after this man in what must have been a very frightening incident for him and his family,” he said.
“We also wish the gentleman with the burns a very speedy recovery.”