Funding secures well-used facility
A POPULAR community centre for youngsters will be re-opening its doors this week after a successful first season.
The Hub, which is based at Sudbury Upper School’s Sports Centre, will be holding a party this Friday from 6pm to celebrate the opening – thanks to funding from Babergh District Council.
The Hub was opened to provide a place for young people to take part in a range of activities and to keep them off the streets.
Due to its success organisers are appealing for more adult helpers to keep the youth club running and to expand the range of activities on offer.
As part of Babergh’s Be Active project the last open evening in July attracted more than 100 youngsters – who took part in a world cup-themed five-a-side competition, streetdance lessons, basketball and DJing lessons.
You may also want to watch:
Babergh’s Be Active officer, Stephanie Lloyd, said: “I couldn’t have hoped for a better turn-out. The young people were great and the weather perfect.
“The event was a chance for the local community and parents to see what there is for young people to do in Sudbury on a Friday night.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 3 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 9 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
“We are also hoping that the open evenings will attract some new adult helpers, as this is key to the Hub’s success.”
Youngsters aged 12-17 will be able to take part in basketball and football sessions, play Xbox and Wii computer games. For this week only a mobile skate park will be provided.
All activities are free, no booking is required and sessions start from 6pm. For more information call Mrs Lloyd on 01473 825834.