Furniture warehouse blaze in Stanway being treated as suspicious
- Credit: Archant
Five fire crews are tackling a blaze which has “engulfed” a furniture warehouse in Stanway.
Firefighters from Colchester, Tiptree and Coggeshall are at the incident in Turkey Cock Lane.
Station officer Steve Kirkham, incident commander, said on arrival at around 6am this morning the building was 100% alight.
“Four pumps were made up due to the distance we had to get water and the manpower required,” he said.
“The building is showing signs of collapse so we are doing defensive firefighting.
You may also want to watch:
“We were initially hampered by the electricity supply too and engineers from UK Power Networks were called.
“There will be a presence here throughout the morning turning over and damping down, and we will re-visit this afternoon to make sure all is well.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
The fire is being treated as suspicious and police have established a cordon at the scene.