Furniture warehouse sparks major blaze
NINE fire crews are currently at the scene of a blaze which has engulfed a furniture warehouse.
The flames took hold of a row of four industrial units on Duke Park Estate in Suffolk Drive, Chelmsford at around 8.10pm.
Firefighters from Chelmsford, Baddow, Ingatestone, Brentwood, Witham and Orsett are tackling the fire.
The flames, which have spread to another two units, an air conditioning company and an MOT centre on the site, measuring 40metres by 70metres are believed to have started in a workshop.
The officer in charge at the scene said firefighters were fighting the fire on multiple fronts in a bid to control the spread of the flames.
You may also want to watch:
He said crews were using specialist equipment including an aerial platform in a bid to tame the flames from above.
Speaking from the scene, ADO Neil Fenwick said: “The fire is in a row of four industrial units.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 5 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 6 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 7 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 8 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
“The two central units are fiercely affected by fire, but crews are working hard to get on top of the blaze. The fire appears to have started in a furniture manufacturers which is full of flammable material which has fuelled it.”
He said a full investigation will take place to establish the cause of the fire.
And senior divisional officer Dave Bill, the officer in charge, added: “It is a fire in a furniture workshop measuring around 15 metres square.
“The fire is located in the workshop and the other three units are mainly affected by smoke.
“Crews are now on top of the fire. It has been a very labour intensive incident requiring a large number of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
“We are now on top of the fire but expect crews to remain here for some time yet.”
Four fire engines are set to relieve crews at the scene shortly.