Gallery: Andy Abbott relives the highlights of his early career as a photographer based in Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
Andy Abbott shares more classic black and white imagery that emerged in the late 1970s and 80s from his camera and the EADT darkroom in King Street, Sudbury, where hewas first based.
I was living in a great location at home with my parents in Cockfield and it was like working from the hub of a wheel, writes Andy.
I could travel south less than 10 miles to Sudbury, head east and cover assignments from Stowmarket for the Stowmarket Chronicle, north to Bury St Edmunds where I was educated, or head west towards Clare and beyond.
Like the rivers Stour, Brett, Gipping and Lark I would blissfully meander through the glorious Suffolk countryside, in the past 40 or so years I would think there is hardly a country lane I have not had to negotiate.
Working from Sudbury was a delight; there was always something going on and wonderful picture opportunities. As we start to enjoy spring and the fast approaching Easter holidays organisers of many local activities planned will be starting to put the finishing touches to their preparations. The photographic diaries of local newspapers and what’s on listings are starting to fill and as some of my pictures illustrate some events are timeless.
You may also want to watch:
So as the daffodil heads turn and look to the sun let’s look forward to a wonderful Easter celebration, some glorious weather and time for families to enjoy all that our great county has to offer.
Next week I visit the Stour Valley Community School and meet the talented Year 10 photography students.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results