Gallery: Brownies get wrapped up in big birthday celebrations
- Credit: Maxine Jones
Brownies took over the Weston Homes Community Stadium on Saturday night for a sleepover to launch their centenary celebrations.
To add an extra level of excitment to their celebrations, the group of 215 girls wrapped boxes in birthday paper and slept inside - so they looked like birthday presents.
The sleepover was one of many centenary launch parties to take place simultaneously in the region, and across the country, to mark the start of a year of festivities.
Helen Venner, County Commissioner for Essex North East, which takes in Colchester, Tendring and Braintree, said: “The great thing about the weekend for me was seeing so many of the girls having such a great time and seeing the leaders who were looking after them enjoying the celebrations too.
“There was such a variety of events taking place this weekend and it was great to see the party atmosphere all over the county.”
You may also want to watch:
Brownies from Braintree held a sleepover at Crazy Kids play centre, while those in Witham learnt about the history of Guiding, had their nails painted and took part in a dance workshop. Others celebrated with a tradition party, and were entertained by magicians.
Mrs Venner continued: “We have around 3,000 Brownies in Essex North East, they are the largest section in Girlguiding and we need to recognise that the reason this section was created all those years ago still holds firm today.
“Back in 1914 Brownies gave girls the chance to gain new experiences and helped build their confidence, and that is exactly what we did this weekend.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published