Gallery: Colchester reflects on Pearl Izumi Tour Series cycle event economy boost
- Credit: Archant
More than 8,000 spectators turned out to watch Britain’s leading cycle race series pass through Colchester.
The event has been welcomed as a lift for the economy and a boost in trade for businesses.
The town hosted Britain’s top cycling teams for the fourth time on May 30, when the Pearl Izumi Tour Series returned for the 1.5km street racing event.
It was also the second time Colchester has been the Johnson Health Tech Grand Prix Series women’s race.
Around four thousand people visited Castle Park, where free activities included a BMX ramp, tennis skills sessions, dance craze demos and music.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Barlow, the council’s head of regeneration said: “The Tour Series was a fantastic event, showcasing the best of Colchester and what the town has to offer. It was a great opportunity for us all to get involved and celebrate Colchester as a place where people want to live, work and visit and provide a further boost to the local economy.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 9 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience