Gallery: Cold snap shows no sign of letting up as snow showers hits region
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
IT WAS the coldest March for half a century – and now April snow showers are hitting the region as the unseasonable weather shows no signs of letting up.
Severe conditions have caused disruptions to thousands as the cold snap refuses to release its grip.
But fear not, as forecasters say spring is right around the corner.
Yet in Great Bentley today, motorists were assailed by freak snow storms as temperatures plummeted back down to near freezing following the coldest March since 1962.
Jim Bacon, forecaster at Weatherquest, said although snow storms were more likely at Easter than Christmas, the region was experiencing much colder conditions than usual.
You may also want to watch:
“With the snow and sleet and freezing winds coming from eastern Europe, it is a repeat story of the last month or so,” he said.
“But these April snow showers will be April rail showers next week and these 2C or 3C temperatures will soon be 10C or 11C.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 10 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
“It will feel more like spring soon. The winds will ease and it will be much warmer – but it still remains very changeable.”
See our gallery for more pictures of the unseasonable snow.