Gallery: Easter comes early as bunnies descend on Colchester for annual spring stock show
- Credit: Su Anderson
Hundreds of rabbits of all breeds and sizes were brought to Essex yesterday for one of the country’s biggest exhibitions.
The Spring Stock Show, organised by Colchester and District Rabbit Club along with the British Mini Rex Club, attracted more than 160 rabbits and their owners in one of the Colchester clubs’ three annual exhibitions held at Langham Community Centre.
Rabbits from Suffolk and Essex, as well as other parts of the UK, were judged across four sections, with 72 different classes of competition overall in the event, which is regarded as the Crufts of the rabbit world.
Paul Hopkins, the show’s manager, said: “It’s been going very well. We have rabbits here from as far as Kent and Yorkshire, which is great and a turnout of 47 different exhibitors.”
Mr Hopkins had also welcomed the arrival of several people taking part for their first time.
You may also want to watch:
The spring show was the first time the club has attracted sponsorship with pet bedding company Bed Down providing rosettes for the winners.
The club’s next event takes place on July 11 for the Tendring Hundred competition.
- 1 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 2 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Takeaway owner fined £3.5k after series of food hygiene breaches
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 9 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies