Gallery: Essex Dog Day is a hit with four-legged friends
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
The glorious grounds of a Georgian mansion in Hatfield Peverel hosted thousands of dog lovers and their bright-eyed and excited canine friends.
Dogs of every size, age and breed were on show at the fifth Essex Dog Day earlier today.
There was a class for every pooch in the main show rings – from Dog with the Waggiest Tail, Best Male and Female Pedigree, Best Mover and of course, Best in Show.
That prize, decided by judges including the Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Lord Petre, went to Serena, a six-year-old greyhound rescue dog.
Ian Twinley, owner of the Georgian mansion, Crix, and chairman of the organising committee said: “We had the perfect weather for the show, warm but not too hot for all the dogs.
You may also want to watch:
“A hundred and fifty volunteers help to stage the event and they all give their time to raise money for charity.
“All the money raised on the day goes to the prestigious Essex Community Fund for distribution to Essex charities.”
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 8 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 9 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
Away from the formal show rings were all action competitions including the Gun Dog Scurry in the lake, the Agility over the ramps and through the hoops and many more.
BBC Essex Radio DJ Dave Monk introduced a spectacular programme in the main ring. New this year was a display from the Sandon Police Dog Unit.
Jemima Parry Jones also attracted huge audiences with her birds of prey display. There was also a guide dogs show, sheepdog show and gymnastic and acrobatic dancing.