Gallery: Fog lifts to reveal stunning spectacle that is the annual deer rut
- Credit: Margaret Holland
An intrepid husband and wife team who have a combined age of 152 risked their lives to capture these stunning photos of rutting deer.
Photographer Margaret Holland, 75, of Ipswich, was joined by her husband Brian, 77, as she took the images at Holkham Estate.
The couple from Ipswich travel 20,000 miles a year for Mrs Holland to indulge her hobby as a wildlife photographer – a pastime she took up just six years ago – and admit they were lucky to get these pictures.
Retired banker Mr Holland, who acts as a “spotter” for his wife, said: “I wouldn’t advise anyone to be in that situation.
“We heard the roaring in the fog and I said we will head that way.
You may also want to watch:
“The fog started to lift and the red stag appeared ahead of us. I said ‘don’t move, for goodness sake don’t look at it in the eye’ as they will go for you, the red stags. He then went down to his knees and started to thrash the turf.
“If he had charged at us, we wouldn’t have survived, but, thankfully, he just wandered off. We were very fortunate.”
Have you taken some amazing pictures which you want to share with our readers? Log onto iwitness24 and share your photos
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn