Gallery: Kindred Spirits looks back to when Whitton joined Ipswich
PUBLISHED: 13:14 04 March 2015 | UPDATED: 13:15 04 March 2015
Whitton was a tiny village two and a half miles from the Ipswich town centre until the Whitton, Castle Hill and Whitehouse housing estates were built.
Many of the roads on the Whitton housing estate were named after poets and playwrights, and Whitehouse after Irish towns, writes David Kindred.
Whitton village was linked to Ipswich town centre when the electric tram service started in 1903, giving villagers the opportunity to visit the town centre on a regular basis.
The village was on the main road from Ipswich to Norwich until the Ipswich western bypass was built and traffic diverted to an interchange via the Bury Road in the mid 1980s and the village bypassed. There was a police station built in 1905, now a private residence and a village post office until the 1980s.
The old village is now part of Ipswich. Most people think of the huge, mainly council, housing estate and sports centre when Whitton is mentioned.
Kindred Spirits - Whitton
How Ipswich expanded to meet the village of Whitton is illustrated in this aerial photograph by Jim Empson taken in the 1970s. Whitehouse estate is in the foreground with the industrial units on Whitehouse Road in the left corner. The Tooks bakery building and the Whitton United football pitches are centre left. The houses of Castle Hill and the Crofts are top right. the heart of the old Whitton village is off the top left of the picture. (Photo by Jim Empson)
The Norwich Road at Whitton looking towards Claydon in around 1906. This picture was taken from close to where Whitehouse Road is now off to the left. The terrace of houses on the right are still there today opposite where Bury Road carries traffic to and from the interchange with the A14.
An electric tram at Whitton around 1906. This was the end of the line from the Cornhill, Ipswich. The Maypole public house is on the left of the tram.
The Maypole, Old Norwich Road is now closed. This public house stood at Whitton for centuries. Before the Second World War there were ten quoits beds and the Suffolk Challenge Cup was held there attracting hundreds of spectators. This photograph was taken in around 1906.
The police station at Whitton in around 1906.
A group of children gathered outside the village store at Whitton when a photographer visited in around 1906.
Pupils at Whitton Junior School at a dance festival in July 1968. (Photo DK/Archant).
The Safe Harbour, Meredith Road, closed in 1995 and was demolished in 1997. It replaced a public house of the same name in Dorkin Street, close to where the Suffolk New College is today. That area ÒThe PotteriesÓ was demolished in the 1930s and residents moved to new council housings on the edge of town including Whitton. The new Safe Harbour no doubt made people feel Ôat homeÕ. This huge public house was built by the Tollemache Brewery. It was one of several built in Ipswich and they became known at ÒTolly FolliesÓ. An Aldi supermarket is now on this site. (Photo by Albert Gonzales). What memories do you have of the Whitton public houses. Write to Kindred Spirits, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The three public houses, The Maypole, which was in the heart of the old village, The Safe Harbour, built when the housing estate was expanding, and the Crown are all closed or demolished.
What are your memories of Whitton either as a village or housing estate? Email email@example.com