Gallery: Marvellous Summer Mela dazzles the crowd on Cornhill, Ipswich
CROWDS flocked to the Cornhill to celebrate Ipswich’s Indian Summer Mela.
With face painting, food stalls, and entertainment throughout yesterday afternoon, the event was deemed a success by organisers.
Originally due to take place in Christchurch Park on July 8, the mela was rearranged for the bank holiday after torrential downpours.
Organiser Poli Mohan, secretary and treasurer of the Ipswich and Suffolk Indian Association, said: “It has been fantastic and we are really pleased. The mela is a chance for the whole community to come together and celebrate.”
Speaking as the Bollywood dancers took to the stage in front of the town hall, Ipswich mayor Mary Blake said: “It is wonderful and a lovely, family-friendly atmosphere. It is so lovely the event was able to go ahead after all.”
You may also want to watch:
The Thornlow family of Westerfield Road, Ipswich, were among those soaking up the atmosphere. Claire Thornlow and husband Chris watched as daughters Meghan, 12, and Libby, 10, had their hands decorated with henna tattoos.
Claire said: “We came last year when it was in the park and the girls had a great time. We love the atmosphere and we love trying the different food.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 5 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 9 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
It is hoped the annual event will return to Christchurch Park in 2013.
Do you have any photos from the event? Send them in via www.iwitness24.co.uk.