Gallery: Motoring enthusiasts from 16 counties and Belgium set out from Stoke by Nayland and enjoy rally through county
- Credit: Archant
KEEN motorists from 16 counties across the UK and Belgium have been won over by Suffolk during a weekend behind the wheel.
Paul Dunningham, from Clare, who is a member of the Morgan Sports Car Club, organised a navigational rally through Constable Country for fellow members starting and finishing at Stoke by Nayland Hotel.
In total, 102 people – including a couple from Belgium – in 51 cars took part in the rally which took in the county’s “gentle landscape”, picturesque villages and the coast.
On Saturday, the group followed a route to Woolverstone Marina, where they enjoyed a trip aboard the Orwell Lady, followed by lunch at the Royal Harwich Yacht Club, and then carried on through villages including East Bergholt and Flatford.
At Flatford they had tours around settings John Constable captured in his paintings.
Then on the Sunday, the fleet of Morgans – ranging from three-wheelers to Drophead Coupes and modern V6 varieties – headed out via Polstead, Hadleigh and Kersey to Lavenham before motoring back to the hotel.
Mr Dunningham, 72, who has owned Morgans for more than 41 years, said: “People said how pretty and delightful and stunning the villages were and some said they never knew they were as nice as that and they might be coming back.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
On Saturday night Suffolk author Charlie Haylock gave a talk to the group and there was also a dinner dance with live music from +5, the car club’s own band.