Gallery: Needham Market Raft Race
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people turned out to watch teams paddle for victory at the annual Needham Market Raft Race.
The event, which started 11 years ago, saw 15 raft builders test their vessels and their mettle at Needham Lake.
Debbie Cadman, chairman of The Needham Market Raft Race, said she was already looking forward to next year’s event.
She added: “It was a great day, it wasn’t very sunny but the weather doesn’t put us off. We had a great crowd here, really great. I think a good day was had by all, there were plenty of people going in the water. It was a really, really good family day out.”
The overall race was won by a team from Buildbase in Stowmarket, who also paddled off with the Tracey Cadman Challenge - splashing their way to the fastest lap time in the heats.”
You may also want to watch:
But Ms Cadman said her highlight had been a determined, but less successful team.
“The girls from Mencap couldn’t actually get off the start line, bless them”, she said. “They went in three times in total but they went away, they persevered and got lots of donation just from the fun factor. They’ve said they’re going to do it again next year.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 6 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
The event was free with a £1 donation for parking that goes towards next year’s event.