Gallery: Old toys up for grabs at Colchester auction house
HUNDREDS of fantastic toys from days gone by are set to go under the hammer today at a special auction.
The auction of vintage playthings at Reeman Dansie in Colchester will see more than 500 lots up for grabs, including dozens of rare Dinky toys and Corgi cars in mint condition – and, most importantly, in their boxes – as well as a small army of lead soldiers.
The sale starts at the auction house in Wyncolls Way at 10am and will last until the final lot is sold. Among the many lots of model trains and railway accessories is a handmade model of the Evening Star train.
Collections Consultant Michael Bowles said he expected a lot of interest in some of the more unusual lots, including a rocking horse from the 1930s and some sought-after early Dinky aeroplanes.
He said: “It’s all about nostalgia – people will remember them from their childhood. Some of the lots will make several hundred pounds each.
“(With Dinky toys) the key thing is the condition of the vehicle and the box – if the box is in mint condition then they are more valuable.”
Mr Bowles said the collection had been accumulated over several months and included items recovered from attics and basements, often in mint condition and in their original boxes.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 3 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 4 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 5 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
- 6 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 7 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 8 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 9 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
The auction will also be open to online bids and for more details and catalogue information, visit www.reemandansie.com