Gallery: Old toys up for grabs at Colchester auction house
HUNDREDS of fantastic toys from days gone by are set to go under the hammer today at a special auction.
The auction of vintage playthings at Reeman Dansie in Colchester will see more than 500 lots up for grabs, including dozens of rare Dinky toys and Corgi cars in mint condition – and, most importantly, in their boxes – as well as a small army of lead soldiers.
The sale starts at the auction house in Wyncolls Way at 10am and will last until the final lot is sold. Among the many lots of model trains and railway accessories is a handmade model of the Evening Star train.
Collections Consultant Michael Bowles said he expected a lot of interest in some of the more unusual lots, including a rocking horse from the 1930s and some sought-after early Dinky aeroplanes.
He said: “It’s all about nostalgia – people will remember them from their childhood. Some of the lots will make several hundred pounds each.
You may also want to watch:
“(With Dinky toys) the key thing is the condition of the vehicle and the box – if the box is in mint condition then they are more valuable.”
Mr Bowles said the collection had been accumulated over several months and included items recovered from attics and basements, often in mint condition and in their original boxes.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
The auction will also be open to online bids and for more details and catalogue information, visit www.reemandansie.com