Gallery: Thousands descend on Christchurch Park for annual music day in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Revellers enjoyed a glorious day of music, fun and sun as Ipswich Music day was hailed a huge success today.
Organisers behind the festival said an estimated 45,000 people packed out Christchurch Park throughout the day.
More than 70 acts performed on stages throughout the park with a wide variety of musical genres giving everyone something to enjoy.
James Young, the borough council’s events manager, helped to organise the event.
He said: “This year we have made it all inclusive. We have used different areas and extended to different areas of the park.
You may also want to watch:
“You couldn’t get a hotel in Ipswich and I think that shows we are doing the right thing.
“We want to make Ipswich a leisure destination.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 10 Inside Suffolk's own Repair Shop
The council-organised event is now in its 22nd year and it brought the successful Ip-art festival to a close.
As well as the music, which spanned everything for rock and soul to folk and classical, people were also able to enjoy fairground rides, children’s activities and a number of stalls.
The event started out as part of a nationwide movement more than 20 years ago when towns and cities all celebrated a music in the park event – but the Ipswich show is one of just a few which remains.
Mr Young added: “I think that music day goes from strength to strength because we always freshen it up.
“We couldn’t do it without the sponsors. We really rely on the support they give us, the members of staff, the people that volunteer and the people that come along to what is a great park for a great event.”