Gallery: Triumphant send off for charity challenge
A DAD and his sons travelling 4,500 miles off the beaten track across Europe have been given the perfect send-off.
Simon Hodding, 52, and sons Mathew, 24, and 20-year-old Andrew, of Dobbs Drift, Kesgrave, embarked on their Ipswich to Istanbul challenge, dubbed Herald for Heroes, on Sunday.
A procession of cars from the East Anglian Practical Classics Club (EAPC) led the trio, in their 1963 model Triumph Herald 12/50, from Kesgrave to the A12 in Copdock before the Hoddings made their journey to Dover to catch a ferry.
They will be driving through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria before reaching their final destination of Istanbul in Turkey.
Nigel Tucker, chairman of EAPC, said: “There were fewer cars than I’d hoped for considering the glorious weather but we started on time and led the Hoddings through Ipswich and down to Copdock before they drove off on their journey.
“I think it’s absolutely wonderful what Simon and his sons are doing for Help for Heroes.
“What makes it extra special is that some of the European Triumph clubs have heard what they are doing and will be meeting up with Simon at various points throughout the challenge and provide him with an escort.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
Mr Hodding, who is disabled, decided to come up with a charity challenge, which will see the team travelling up to 250 miles a day. The trio will share the driving between them.
Speaking earlier in the month, Mr Hodding said: “We’ve worked out it will take around 10 days to get to Istanbul where we plan to stay for a couple of days before driving back.”
The family want to raise as much money as possible for Help for Heroes which helps servicemen and women injured in current conflicts.
Visit www.heraldforheroes.org to sponsor them.
- Are you taking part in an unusual charity challenge? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email email@example.com