Gallery/video: Fire at Derby-winning stables in Newmarket
FIREFIGHTERS today tackled a blaze at prestigious racehorse training stables in Newmarket.
Horses were evacuated from the Bedford House stables, in Bury Road, after fire broke out this morning.
Flames spread to the roof of the stable block, from where smoke was seen emerging at around 10.30am.
Fire crews from Newmarket, Burwell, Mildenhall, Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth were called to the scene, where the roof of a stable block measuring 30m by 5m was well alight.
Crews removed tiles to provide better access for fighting the flames.
You may also want to watch:
The stables were once home to Derby-winners Kahyasi and High Rise - both trained by Luca Cumani.
Relief crews were mobilised from Clare, Elmswell, Brandon, Debenham, Needham Market and Sudbury fire stations.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 5 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 9 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 10 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
Crews worked to cut away, damp down and strip the roof. A stop message was received at 2.46pm.