Gallery/video: Women make an impression at Newmarket ladies’ day
- Credit: Archant
Women at ladies’ day in Newmarket today showed looking good does not need to come at a high price.
Some of the most eye-catching outfits at the Boylesports Ladies’ Day at the Piper-Heidsiek July Festival, which was bathed in sunshine, were made up of ebay purchases and High Street bargains.
Anne Pope, 53, from Ipswich, stood out in a striking pink and black outfit, which was topped off with a pair of sparkly glasses.
Mrs Pope, who was at Newmarket ladies’ day for the first time, said her dress, from Lipsy at Next, probably cost about £15 in a sale and her glasses were £3 from Primark.
“I think a lot of the time people do take life too seriously and at the end of the day it’s all a bit of fun. We are all individuals and we should all show our individuality instead of going along with the norm.”
You may also want to watch:
Another woman who dared to be different was Tamlyn Robinson, 37, from near Ely, who donned a vintage feather hat as well as vintage shoes.
“I hate wearing what everybody else has got,” she said. “If it’s vintage you know you are not going to see another one.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
She said her whole outfit cost in the region of £46.
Maria Cheslin, 36, from Southampton, had a truly unique outfit as her hat was especially made to match her dress, from Karen Millen, by her friend Dawn Guibert.
And the judges of the Best Dressed Lady competition - which is part of the Fashion at the Festival event - must have agreed as Miss Cheslin scooped the title, which came with a variety of prizes.
Heidi Jacobs-Farnsworth, 24, and her friend Alisha Foley, 29, co-ordinated perfectly with a summery splash of orange.
Their hats were made by Miss Foley’s sister Michelle.
Miss Foley said: “I quite like the length [of the dress] to be not too short, fitted, quite chic really.”
Miss Jacobs-Farnsworth’s dress was made to measure in China, and purchased through ebay, and Miss Foley’s outfit was all Zara.
Tomorrow is the Abu Dhabi Gentlemen’s Day at the three-day July festival.