Gallery: Wedding bells brought out the celebrity-spotters in Bury St Edmunds last weekend and Andy Abbott was there to watch
- Credit: Archant
Sunday was a quiet morning so I thought I would meander along to the St Mary’s Church in Bury St Edmunds and be a fly-on-the-wall observer at the wedding of Mark Wright and Michelle Keegan – talk of which had been filling tabloid pages for days.
It rekindled memories of the Claudia Schiffer wedding in Suffolk back in May 2002, and the Rothschild-Goldsmith event also at St Mary’s a year later in September 2003.
So the Michelle Keegan and Mark Wright nuptials were supposed to be the celebrity wedding of the year –but what an undignified entrance for the main players.
Groom and bridesmaids hustled in, crouched under a canopy of umbrellas and the same for the half-hour late bride – feet were in danger of being run over as the immaculate white Rolls manoeuvred into place for the entrance.
There was dismay among the patiently waiting and expectant large crowd, I am sure all avid Coronation Street watchers were just hoping for a glimpse of the bride to make their day.
You may also want to watch:
So no luck for the hunting pack of paparazzi trying to get an exclusive image of the couple, signed up by a magazine – so similar to the Claudia Schiffer bride smuggling 13 years ago, but in that case my colleague Michael Hall managed the only picture of Claudia leaving the Lavenham Swan for the wedding at Shimpling Church.
On that day I drew the short straw and was perched atop a stepladder for over two hours with a giant long lens, celebrity spotting guests like Boris Becker and Vinnie Jones.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 9 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 10 Publican 'bitterly disappointed' as holiday home plans refused
I must admit it was quite fun watching all the shenanigans on Sunday.