Gallery: Whitton United to get improved car park thanks to Chord builders Spencer
Whitton United Football Club have been given a boost worth around £30,000 from the company which built the Ipswich Chord rail link.
The club will soon have a newly tarmaced car park and upgraded driveway thanks to the Spencer Group.
The company’s rail division has been working on the multi-million pound development near Ipswich railway station.
Spencer’s community manager for the Ipswich Chord project Matt Simpson said: “We do cause a bit of destruction when we go into place so we try to give something back in the community.
“We try to support schools and charities in the area but it just so happened Whitton United asked for help with their ground here.
You may also want to watch:
“We visited the site and saw there was a desperate need for some help.”
Mr Simpson explained that as well as a small team from Spencer working on the project there were local contractors involved as well.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 9 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
He also said much of the material used was recycled, with everything carried out under the watchful eye of site manager Carl Forster.
Lucky Singh, Whitton United’s facilities manger, said they wouldn’t have been able to afford the improvements without the help of Spencer.
“We’ve been trying to get the road surface done for the last 15 years,” he said.
“Getting this done means we can open the centre up to a wider range of people.
“It’s like all our Christmases come at once.
“We couldn’t afford to do this work otherwise, there’s no way we could, so a big thank you to Spencer and Carl and a big thank you from Whitton United.”
The work is expected to be complete in the next week or so.