Gas leak - man in hospital
A MAN was taken to hospital after a six-minute ammonia leak at a food storage premises in Braintree.Local people were told to stay indoors and shut their windows following the leak, which happened shortly after 4pm at Norish Food Care's depot in Benfield Way.
A MAN was taken to hospital after a six-minute ammonia leak at a food storage premises in Braintree.
Local people were told to stay indoors and shut their windows following the leak, which happened shortly after 4pm at Norish Food Care's depot in Benfield Way.
Police closed roads around the area while six fire appliances were sent to the premises because of special procedures needed when dealing with ammonia spills.
The leak was contained and the ammonia was doused and allowed to evaporate naturally.
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to hospital for checks after the leak as it had left him with breathing difficulties.
An Essex Police spokeswoman said that residents were advised to stay inside their homes after they complained of a strong ammonia smell and watering eyes.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
A spokeswoman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: "At 16.12 the Service was alerted to an Ammonia Leak that lasted for around 6 minutes at the above address.
"A large fire service attendance was made due to special procedures required for a leak of this nature.
"A male was taken to hospital for checks after being exposed to ammonia and the Fire Service contained the leak and allowed it to evaporate naturally."
Fire crews from Braintree, Halstead, Chelmsford and Colchester were sent to douse the ammonia along with an aerial ladder platform.
Norish Food Care specialises in providing cold storage facilities mainly for beef and dairy products.
In Braintree it can freeze as low as 18 degrees centigrade and hold 7,550 pallets in 1.26 million cubic feet of storage.
Services offered there include rapid air freezing, weighing and distribution.
Nobody from Norish Food Care was available for comment last night.