College’s Head of Science in line for top gender equality award
- Credit: Archant
A science teacher has been nominated for an award recognising women working in the region’s technology sector.
Emma Clay, head of science at West Suffolk College, has been shortlisted for the Inspiration Award at this this year’s DevelopHER Awards.
Molly Dalton, lecturer in mechanical engineering at the college, nominated Ms Clay for the award and said: “I nominated Emma because her passion and enthusiasm. Emma’s use of technology and ability to ‘think outside the box’ in terms of delivery, is exceptional.”
“I am delighted that this award has recognised her efforts in education and I hope she wins this award to inspire other education practitioners to be more like her.”
When discussing the topic of encouraging more females to branch into the world of technology, Ms Clay said: “I think it’s about making sure that young people know that no matter what their background is, the door is always open. It doesn’t matter whether you are male or female, each person should know they have the right to explore the world and discover new technologies.”
She has been with West Suffolk College for just over a year and was keen to pass on her advice to women who may be considering a career in technology.
She added: “It’s about taking your own passion and translating this for other people to learn, even if there are setbacks along the way don’t lose sight of what you love about a subject and what makes you smile at the end of the day.”
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role