Giant hole appears in town centre road
Beccles town centre was closed off this morning after a large hole opened up in the street.
The hole, which is about 10 feet long, has opened up outside Pennington Opticians in Blyburgate.
The pavement has collapsed into the cellar of the building leaving a gaping hole at the front of the shop.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said the hole was reported shortly before 5am today, and heavy rain overnight has been suggested locally as a possible cause.
Police have cordoned off the road and diversions are in place.
You may also want to watch:
The police spokesman said Suffolk County Council and the gas board have been informed.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 3 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 4 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 5 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 6 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 7 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 8 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 9 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 10 Another former Town player completes Colchester move