Girl accidentally shot in head with air rifle in mid-Suffolk village
- Credit: IAN BURT
A young girl has survived being accidentally shot in the head in a mid-Suffolk village after a boy discharged an air rifle.
The incident occurred at a property near Stowmarket shortly after noon on Boxing Day.
However, due to the accidental nature of the incident Suffolk Constabulary has said the matter will not result in any prosecution.
The girl who was injured was taken to hospital in Bury St Edmunds, before being transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
Paramedics were not called as the youngster was driven to hospital by her parents.
You may also want to watch:
She is understood to be under 10 years of age.
Although a pellet struck her in the head, it is not believed to have penetrated her skull.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 7 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 8 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 9 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
After she received treatment for her injuries she was allowed to return home.
The boy involved is understood to be a few years older than the girl.
Anne-Marie Breach, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “Police were contacted around 12.15pm on Boxing Day, Saturday, December 26, to reports that a young girl had been shot by a boy with an air rifle at an address near Stowmarket.
“The girl had been taken to the West Suffolk Hospital by her parents and she was later transferred to Addenbrooke’s for further checks, but her injuries are not thought to be life-changing.
“Officers attended and spoke to the parents of both children involved and this is believed to have been an accident.”