Girl assaulted in school grounds
POLICE have launched an investigation after a nine-year-old girl was assaulted in the grounds of a Suffolk primary school.The youngster was playing in a field at Downing Primary School, Ipswich, last Monday when a teenager jumped over the fence, pushed her over and pinned her to the floor.
POLICE have launched an investigation after a nine-year-old girl was assaulted in the grounds of a Suffolk primary school.
The youngster was playing in a field at Downing Primary School, Ipswich, last Monday when a teenager jumped over the fence, pushed her over and pinned her to the floor.
The girl's friends helped her escape and ran for help.
Margo Barker, headteacher at the school, said it was not entirely clear what had happened but said staff were keeping a close eye on youngsters at playtimes.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It seems that a teenager jumped over the fence and pushed her over. She hasn't said that she said anything to him to make him do that.
“I have spoken to the children about it and am in touch with the girl's parents.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 6 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 10 Long queues at Primark from 7am in Ipswich as lockdown eases
“We have six midday assistants on duty at lunchtimes and we keep a close eye on the children.”
She said the girl was in an area of the field which is out of bounds to youngsters when the incident happened.
The attack is believed to have happened in the corner of the school field near St Josephs College at about 12.45pm on May 15.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police said the assault had happened at lunchtime when a teenager on a bike had jumped over the fence and attacked the girl for no apparent reason.
She said specialist officers were likely to speak to the girl and her friends again to ascertain exactly what had happened.
The offender is described as a white male in his late teens.
He was wearing light blue trousers, a darker blue hooded top pulled over his head and dark glasses. Anyone with information about the incident should call Pc Jon Rodriguez at Ipswich police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.