Glasgow bin lorry crash survivor Marie Weatherall thanks her friends in Suffolk for their support

Marie Weatherall

Marie Weatherall - Credit: Archant

A survivor of the Glasgow bin lorry crash today issued a heartfelt thanks to her friends in Suffolk after being inundated with messages of support.

Marie Weatherall, who moved to Glasgow from Ipswich just 10 days before the tragedy on December 22, has just come out of intensive care and is still in hospital after suffering a broken leg and arm.

The 64-year-old grandmother, who lived in Suffolk for more than 30 years, went into the city for some last minute Christmas shopping, but says she does not remember the moment the vehicle crashed into the side of the Millennium Hotel, in George Square.

“I have no recollection whatsoever. My last recollection was getting on the bus to go into the city centre.”

She added: “In a way I haven’t experienced the horror of it all yet.”

The mother of three said she is still processing what has happened in the last few weeks, but that the love and support she has received from friends and family have been very comforting.

She said: “Some of the best years of my life were spent in Suffolk and I just want to say thank you to all my friends in Suffolk for being so supportive.”

Most Read

Ms Weatherall, who said she feels “enormously lucky”, worked with organisations including the Refugee Council until 2011.

She had been living in Glasgow and Ipswich for the past five years before letting her house in the town and moving north of the border full time this month.

Ms Weatherall came out of intensive care just a few days ago and she has been full of praise for staff at the hospital who have been treating her.

She hopes she can be discharged in the next few weeks and is already planning to visit Suffolk again to see friends.

An investigation into the crash is continuing.

Erin McQuade, 18, her grandparents Jack and Lorraine Sweeney, Stephenie Tait, 29, Jaqueline Morton, 51, and Gillian Ewing, 52, all lost their lives in the crash.

The victims of the crash were remembered on Sunday when about 1,000 people held a vigil near Queen Street and George Square where the lorry lost control.