GP extended hours service is rolled out in Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
Patients wishing to see a doctor in Newmarket will have access to an extra 32 appointments per week following the roll-out of an extended hours service in the area.
The Suffolk GP Federation is expanding its GP+ service, which means patients are able to see a doctor after work or at the weekend.
The service, which is commissioned by NHS Ipswich and East Suffolk and NHS West Suffolk clinical commissioning groups, already runs from bases in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Felixstowe, Haverhill, Stowmarket, Wickham Market, Sudbury and Mildenhall.
Patients can ask for a GP+ appointment when contacting their doctor’s surgery, and can also be referred via the NHS 111 out-of-hours service and the ambulance service.
Sessions are staffed by local GPs, nurses and other healthcare professionals.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Driscoll, medical director of the Suffolk GP Federation, said: “We have been running GP+ since 2015 and we are pleased that the service is continuing to expand. We know travelling can be difficult for those in more rural communities so having clinic bases all over the county means patients can reach the care they need.”
Dr Christopher Browning, chairman of NHS West Suffolk CCG, said: “Increasing the number of Suffolk GP+ bases means more people across west Suffolk will be able to conveniently access a doctor’s appointment outside of usual working hours.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
“This is a great step forward as we recognise it can be difficult, and sometimes impossible, for people to find the time to attend an appointment because of family, work or caring commitments.
“Access the service by asking the receptionist at your own GP practice during its usual opening hours.”