Hundreds of students take part in charity challenge along the Devil’s Dyke
- Credit: Archant
A charity challenge that saw more than 450 students walk around eight miles has been held to raise money for the Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Newmarket Academy organised the walk along the Devil’s Dyke as a way of promoting healthy living and encouraging students to think about those less fortunate.
And students from Year 7 to Year 10 completed the sponsored challenge, which was declared a huge success by school staff.
Lee Crick, head of PE who organised the event, said: “It was a fantastic day and everything went very smoothly, especially considering the hot weather.
“Everyone who took part was brilliant. Some students found it a challenge but they all gave it their best.
You may also want to watch:
“I am told it was quite a sight, seeing 450 students on the embankment of the Devil’s Dyke. I was very proud to see the school community come together in such a positive way.”
The event was also supported by around 40 staff with everyone stopping for lunch at Newmarket Racecourse.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
Lee added: “I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported the challenge including the Jockey Club Racecourses and Jockey Club Estates for welcoming us all for lunch and supplying the prize for the student with the most sponsorship.
“It was great to see all the students, of all ages and abilities, socialising and enjoying the outdoors and we hope to have raised a great sum of money for a really worthwhile charity.
“We are very proud to be supporting Great Ormond Street Hospital. It is a magnificent hospital, which has been used by several of our staff, and helps so many children who are less fortunate than us.”
While the sponsorship money is being collected and counted, a JustGiving page, started in support of the walk, has already raised £500.
To donate to the challenge, in support of Great Ormond Street Hospital, please visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/newmarketacademy